Monday, June 23, 2008

Doors of Opportunity

Two weeks ago Sunday I met Daniel and his mother Norma. They had begun attending church during our furlough. A week ago I was informed that Danny wanted to be baptized. We set up a meeting for Monday, June 23. In the meanwhile, I learned that he has been told that he has cancer and a terminal diagnosis.

When I arrived tonight, I found a full house. In addition to Danny and his mother, His father, uncle, and two family friends were there. I began by asking Danny to tell me a bit about himself. He is 34 years old, had been raised in church, but had wandered far from the Lord when he got out on his own. Nearly three years ago he awoke to find one side of his face grotesquely swollen. At the hospital he was told that he had lymphoma and would need immediate chemotherapy. After three rounds of treatment, he could not take it anymore and declined further doses.

Throughout the ordeal he thought back to his childhood instruction in the Word of God and cried out to the Lord for salvation. A second doctor advised that the cancer had spread and would require radiation. He consented, but after one treatment, he became so ill that it took a week before he could function normally. As a result, he declined further radiation.

As I spoke to him regarding the nature of saving faith, I became convinced that he has truly repented and is not merely reaching out for a cure. Since there were so many others present, I tried to include them in the explanation of the Gospel and other Scriptures used to counsel Danny. At one point I began to inquire of the others if they attend church anywhere. I found that none of them goes to church or knows the Lord. Yet each of them listened well to the entire two-hour conversation. I was able to leave them each a Gospel tract and an invitation to Danny's baptism as well as to come to church.

I was excited to see the way the Lord opened so many doors at the same time. We will be able to renew contact with each of these persons since they all live in the same general area. Pray with us for Freddy, Miguel, Wanda, and Wendy. God is able to bring them each to Himself. Pray also for Danny's physical and spiritual needs. I will be discipling him as he is able.

No comments: