Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hope in Sorrow

After the forecasted storm, we did not know what to expect for Danny's burial service today. Your prayers kept the sky clear until 10 minutes after we had left the cemetery. The message at the funeral home was from 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort who ministers to those in need so that they may minister to others in need. I mentioned the fact that being a Christian does not take away all the pain, but it does give us the strength to bear up under the load of sorrow. The family will still need the support of family and friends in the days ahead, especially those who have passed through similar trials and experienced God's comfort. I shared my family's loss of my two older sisters in 1975. God's great comfort was certainly evident in our lives, preparing us to reach out to others in their grief. One such piece of advice I always share is that the family not be present when the casket is closed. It is such a tramatic moment that is usually best avoided.

At the graveside, I spoke from John 11:25-26, "I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" These powerful words of our Savior provide hope for those who are grieving by assuring us that not even death can separate the believer from his Lord. How reassuring it is to dwell on the fact that Jesus Christ has already passed from death to life.

Norma did exceptionally well given the circumstances. Her faith will see her through. Her husband, Freddy, still needs to trust the Lord as his Savior. Keep praying for him. One of Norma's brothers has declared that he will be in church on Sunday. He and his wife both claim to be saved, but they have not been to church for quite a while. I first met them when he was in the hospital with pneumonia and heart trouble. Since then, I have been able to visit with them about four times. The Word is having an impact on them. Praise the Lord.

No comments: